5.8.13

utopias




I have never considered myself to be interested in utopias - previously having lumped it in with the business of fluorescent triangle painters and mystical scando- aesthetics.

But I recently did some writing about my utopia, as part of an application process for a residency, in relation to race and white privilege.

And then today I found this quote from Toni Morrison on blunthought's tumblr (from whom I've also nicked the pic).


“All paradises, all utopias are designed by who is not there, by the people who are not allowed in."

Which made me wonder if utopic art, fantasy, paradise, etc - is it not the antithesis of (and therefore might as well be) social realism ? If it is, by definition, designed by those who aren't there - then doesn't it tell us just about who is here (and not there) and not anything more than that?

Like an Arnolfini Marriage-esque inverted mirror.

I need more thoughts on this, but just for today it poses some new perspectives on utopia and its aesthetics.

No comments: